Youth Ambassador Program
The NFCR Youth Ambassador program is an opportunity for high school students with a passion for making a difference in the world to serve as leaders for a new generation in raising awareness and support for cutting-edge cancer research. Ambassadors combine their passion for sports, science, and/or the arts with community service to bring new energy into driving the NFCR mission and inspire their peers.
Students who become a NFCR Youth Ambassador learn critical leadership skills, such as how to recruit, raising awareness, fundraise for a project and learning how nonprofit organizations function through their involvement in the program. Many Ambassadors have used their experience with the program and the recognition earned from NFCR to develop an elite college application package and impressive resume, not to mention being a stronger member of the community!
How do I become an NFCR Youth Ambassador?
- Develop and implement at least one fundraising project and commit to raise at least $5,000 and/or recruit other youth to lead his/her own fundraising projects for NFCR. Funds raised by the youth recruited additional projects count toward the $5,000 minimum goal.
- Develop a brief report highlighting accomplishments and lessons learned at the end of the project. For projects that extend beyond one year, Ambassadors would develop a brief progress report at the end of each year.
Youth Ambassador Benefits
- Learn to be leader of community service in the philanthropic community.
- Learn to be a leader in raising awareness of cancer prevention among their peers.
- Strengthen critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Learn to build healthy and productive youth-adult relationships.
- Receive a letter of recommendation from NFCR for resumes and college applications.
- Receive an invitation to be recognized by NFCR at a year-end celebration. The celebration also connects Youth Ambassadors to peers and provides an opportunity to meet scientists supported by their work in raising awareness and funds for NFCR.
- Receive an invitation (Youth Ambassador and his/her family) to NFCR’s annual Albert Szent-Györgyi Prize for Progress in Cancer Research reception and dinner presentation.
How do I get started?
Getting started is easy! Just call us at (301) 654-1250 or email email@example.com to let us know you’re interested in becoming a Youth Ambassador. A member of the NFCR team will help get you started in the program and help you brainstorm creative fundraising and recruitment ideas!